* An inspirational tirade against me * How to explain my life * Girls to the left of me * Boys to the right of me * Neither husband nor wife * Though the days are filled with pain * There is no one who'll explain why I'm * Coming under * Friendly fire * Shot in the fatal cause of rock and roll * But there's no one * Really no one
* To say why I endure under force majeure * Slander without shame or tact * I, who studied make-up, mime and Buddha * Who taught two generations to react * About me, the critics lied * I ignored them and survived * In spite of coming under * Friendly fire * Shot in the fatal cause of rock and roll * But there's nothing * Really nothing * To deny
* When I look back * My eyes are filled with tears * Danger to mascara * Applause to my peers
* When fame sustained me * And arenas acclaimed me * I floated through life on a cloud * Of love and insanity * And pagan profanity * Before a worshipping crowd * Now my status is ill-defined * As an icon, I'm inclined * To be coming under * Friendly fire * Shot in the fatal cause of rock and roll * And whatever * Dull or clever * Points they've scored * I have never * Oh no, never * Been ignored
* Appears on //[[Discover]]//
Written by Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe. Produced and performed live by Daniel Bailey-Graham.